Fat has long been under scrutiny being claimed to contribute towards a number of health related conditions such as heart disease, high cholesterol and obesity. It is only recently that it has become more recognised for it's importance in our diets and many health benefits.
Of course not all fats are equal and some are healthier than others. Trans - fats however are the only truly bad fats to completely avoid which you will find in products like Margarine, Supermarket ready meals and your local take away's.
Healthy fats include eggs, organic meats, butter, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, rapeseed oil, Avocado, nuts and seeds etc.
So here are 5 good reasons that fat is so important in our diets.
1) Fats provide long lasting energy, whilst helping keep your appetite in check.
2) Essential Fatty Acid's (EFA’s) are needed in many major chemical reactions in the body, including the regulation of growth hormones, to aid cell formation, and even for fat metabolism.
3) The are essential to the absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A D E & K). These vitamins are vital for the building of health
4) Fat has a very low insulin response in comparison to sugar. (Did you know this is the hormone of aging?) It is also however what makes us store excess carbohydrates as fat when our glycogen stores are full.
5) Healthy fat intake can actually help reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase good cholesterol (HDL)
Now Put down your healthy living breakfast and snack bars and go eat some healthy fats!